Grand Island, NE
In the mid-1800’s a plan came to light to develop a city along the Platte River Road, in hopes that its’ central location would be ideal for the relocation of the nation’s capitol from Washington D.C.
In 1857, the banking house of Chubb Brothers & Barrows from Davenport Iowa financed an expedition of 35 German immigrants, with instructions to choose their settlement’s location within an area named by French fur traders as “La Grande Isle”, an island in the Platte River.
By Sept 1857, log houses had been constructed from ash, elm and cottonwood timber. Their dream, of course, never became reality, but our German heritage remains strong.