Wood River, NE
Wood River, established in 1866, was originally a railroad station named for the tree-lined river directly north. Three years later this settlement boasted a log Catholic church & a school. In 1874-75 the Union Pacific RR platted a new town of Wood River, three miles to the east. The Railroad station, post office & Jackson’s ‘Road Ranch’ Store were placed on skids and moved to the new location.
Road Ranches were established west of the present town site, to serve the ‘1858 tourists’… Gold seekers, emigrants on the Morman & Oregon trails.
St. Mary’s Cemetery and the District 5 School mark the original town site.